How to Protect Your Property?

A little off my usual subject of gardening and garden maintenance but I get asked this question quite a lot so thought I’d post my thoughts here.

It is often tedious for a landlord to maintain his property especially when he has rented it out and is staying away from it. He may find it expensive to often visit the place and monitor them every time. Painting, gardening, building repairs etc may be a costly affair. How can one protect their real estate from being damaged by external sources such as natural calamity, explosion, fire, flood or damages caused by the tenant?

Acts of vandalism, theft, floods, acts of God are inevitable. In order to protect your building you must opt for a policy that pays you for any repair work carried out after the damage of your building. Find out from your agents what is the premium that you would pay every month? You must provide the right value of your house while furnishing all the details. No insurance company will pay you more than what your house is worth. You will simply end up paying more premiums if you give false information. They will definitely cross verify all the details before providing you the suitable compensation in case of damage. In order to get full compensation you must opt for full coverage.

Don’t under estimate the cost of your house in order to pay fewer premiums. When you do this, it will be considered as false information, which could lead to rejection of your application. You should not over estimate the cost of your building so that you are paid extra in case of destruction. You will only pay more premiums and in case of a disaster you will only be paid for the actual cost of your house.

If you want to protect the items inside the house then you must opt for content insurance. This will be required if you have expensive items inside home which is left for the tenants to use. Expensive paintings, furnitures, carpets, floor coverings etc can be protected under this coverage. You have a choice to pay for your house insurance in full or in monthly installments via direct debit. It is said by experts that combining both building and content in one will offer you better discounts. Get a quote and compare it with the other competitors online. After all, you’ve worked hard to get your home and everything in it. So it goes without saying that you’d want to protect it with contents insurance cover. Shop around for the right deal!

Leave a Reply