Winter is almost gone and summer is here. Summer means having get together with family and friends in the back yard. If you are looking for a way to make your home inviting this summer start working from the outside.
You can dramatically improve the appearance of your home, with these simple fixes:
1) Having your lawn mowed, trimmed and clean from weeds will be the first step. Most people dread doing their lawn specially if you have about an acre or more. If you have teenagers or neighborhood kids who are looking for some extra cash.
2- Make sure that the exterior paint is not peeling. If the exterior paint is peeling make sure you paint the exterior before the real estate agents start bringing buyers to show your home. Peeling paint will reduce the value of your home by at least two thousand dollars and will give room for buyers to find fault. If the exterior needs some pressure washing, do it. It does not cost much and mostly you can do it yourself if you have the time.
* Replace the door hardware. A new handle and lock mechanism can make your front door look brand new. If you can get a deal you replacing the kitchen and bathroom cabinet with the same hardware is a great idea.
4) Spring is here and it is a great time to do some gardening as the weather is pleasant during the day. Add color to your curb and gardening. If you have bushes make sure that you trim them to make your home inviting. If you have any plants that you dislike, now will be a great time to remove them. Lowe’s usually have great newsletter and classes for do it yourself home improvement projects. You can get some gardening tips from there.
* Install low voltage landscape lighting along walkways. Even the simplest lighting will bring your home to life at night. You can find some solar light if you are energy conscious.
* If you don’t have a proper path to the front door, consider installing one. Walkways welcome people to your home by inviting them to walk along a path that leads to your front door. The front porch should have ample lighting and balanced features, such as a planter on either side of it.
These simple tips will give you a start into summer. You don’t have a reason to have family and friends over? how about having DIY project and when you complete the project get your family friends over to celebrate the completion. This is good for your kids and your emotional well being. Your kids will start taking pride in the things they accomplish.