Orlando is the vacation destination for those who visit and those who are lucky enough to live in the city. For more relaxing and less work, hire a certified landscape contractor in Orlando. Landscape contractors can help you improve your business visibility, and your home life by helping you maintain beautiful, stress-free landscapes. In Orlando, where insects, fungus, weeds and hurricanes wreck havoc on landscapes, a good landscape contractor is worth their truck’s weight in gold!
Open the phone book and you will find hundreds of listings for landscape contractors in Orlando. How do you know which contractor is the right one for you? Investigate the following factors when interviewing landscape contractors to select the right fit for your needs.
Factors to Consider when Hiring a Landscape Contractor in Orlando
• First and foremost-is the contractor certified by the Florida Nursery, Growers and Landscape Association. This is the accrediting organization for landscape contractors, nursery growers and greenhouse growers in Florida. Landscape contractors certified by the FNGLA have to take a series of classes and a test to be certified. They are taught ethical business practices, proper permitting procedures and landscape contractor skills.
• Does the contractor offer a free, written estimate? The contractor needs to be able to take the time to come to your job site and talk with you to learn your needs for the project. After visiting the site, the contractor should fax or deliver an estimate of expenses including materials and labor.
• Does the contractor have proper pesticide licenses? Once your landscape is installed, you will want it maintained properly. Anyone can go to the hardware store, purchase fertilizer and pesticide and apply it to your lawn. Only certified pesticide applicators should be doing this commercially, as they have the training and knowledge to apply pesticides and fertilizers safely and effectively.
• Does the landscape contractor have an in-house designer? Whether the contractor has a certified landscape architect on staff or not is irrelevant. You should ask to see pictures of landscapes, water features and hardscapes that were designed and installed both by in-house staff members, or by a close work associate. The biggest stumbling block down the road, once your landscape is installed, is a plan that came from somewhere else. In order to properly maintain the landscape, it is best if the design was done by the contractor.
• Does the contractor install and fix irrigation systems? Irrigation is a large part of Orlando landscape installation. If the sprinkler system breaks, you will need your contractor, who is familiar with your yard or commercial landscape, to be able to fix the system.
• Does the contractor provide emergency services? If a major irrigation pipe bursts, or a motorist runs over a retaining wall in a commercial property, you will need someone on location, fast. It helps if it is you regular landscape contractor, because they will be able to identify the problem, the source and quickly repair it.
These are just a few things to consider when hiring a landscape contractor in Orlando. In order to maintain a beautiful, safe and worry-free landscape, thoroughly interview the landscape contractor before signing a contract.